March 11, 2014

Staff Pick: Calamity Jane: The Woman and the Legend

Martha Canary - much more famously known as Calamity Jane - was born in my hometown of Princeton, Missouri in 1856.  Princeton is a small town in northern Missouri where they still celebrate "Calamity Jane Days" each year in the fall. I reckon since I "grew up" with Calamity Jane I am still fascinated with the history of her, and I and have found James McLaird's biography to be a well researched accounting of the rare historical facts that were recorded about her life.

We got the chance to visit Calamity's grave this summer in Deadwood where she is buried beside Wild Bill Hickok. But in the dead of winter, I can also head West - back into the non-fiction section - where she and other famous Western legends, outlaws and pioneers can be found.  Beside Calamity you'll find another one of my favorites "Women of the West," a book filled with archival photos, memoirs and diaries of brave pioneering women.  Along that same trail is Doc Holliday, Buffalo Bill, Annie Oakley, and many pioneers who trekked toward the West.

If you would like to journey back into the Old West, check out one of my favorite sections, 978.02.  You can also check out this section in our on-line catalog.  Find Calamity Jane: The Woman and the Legend in the catalog and click "browse shelf" to see who all hangs out with her!

"Go West, young man!"  (or woman!)

- Nancy H

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell us what you think about this book!